Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Grace



There is something about the word GRACE that just grips me at the core.  At it's mention, my throat tightens up and tears well up in my eyes splashing onto the pages I have written on.  My words read of sadness, pain, the desperate prayers for my grown and almost grown. My random thoughts and dreams to which I'm sure He smiles. They read of sharp self-awareness and the echos of Words long ago written by The One who tells of hope and healing and mercy and redemption. And then there's that word...GRACE. I haven't always felt this way.  Maybe the older I get the more I understand how beautiful it is.  Unmerited favor.  Undeserved.  Unearned. A warm hand extended or arms outstretched that reach into your soul.
I used to sing the words to Amazing Grace and....well, just sing the words.  Now I can hardly get the words out of my mouth
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.

The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.

When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.
I made this at Christmas-time and it hangs over my fireplace. Some have asked why I made it...now you know.



3 comments:

  1. This is really a moving post Mom. It is true, sometimes we get caught up in our everyday that we just "mumble" through our lives as we do with the lyrics. We forget to stop and take a second to listen to god's purpose for us, as well as just the true meaning of the song.

    T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
    and Grace will lead us home (I love this verse)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When something is truly meaningful to us, I think it is wonderful to have a physical representation of it as a reminder. What better place to have this than the home? I LOVE the wings, and think they will always spur up conversation-hopefully with someone who needs to hear the testament of why it means so much to you!

    ReplyDelete